Tel: 01626 777070
Fax: 01626 777304
The feature of the Teignmouth course, which is bound to strike the golfing visitor before any other, is the magnificence of its situation. It is laid out on the high tableland of Little Haldon, over 800 feet above sea level. From the fairways of the outgoing half we look down on Teignmouth itself, nestling into the foot of the slope, and over the estuary of the Teign to the Devon shore as far as Berry Head. From the inward holes we have a view of the estuary of the Exe, and on a clear day we can follow the eastward coastline as far as Portland Bill. To the west is Dartmoor, rising in the far distance into the grey bastions of Hay Tor, Saddle Tor and Rippon Tor. To the north lies the hinterland of Devon and the Blackdown Hills.
Our designer, the famous Dr C A Mackenzie of Augusta U.S.A. fame, laid the course for the mere sum of £3,500, and some of the holes on the course are generally regarded as the best he ever did. Teignmouth is not a very old club as golf clubs go, for it was at a meeting of the directors held on April 26th, 1924 that an announcement was made that the course was ready to play.
The owner of the land, Mr Mardon, leased it to the club for a very nominal sum. In addition, he built a clubhouse and that, too, was included at a nominal rent, which the club was never forced to pay if money was a little short. This rather pleasant state of affairs continued until 1927 when it became known that the owner had received an offer for the land. The club officials moved swiftly, and in a very short time the purchase of the course and the clubhouse was completed. The purchase price? Two thousand, five hundred pounds!